By Joan LaFemina
When gray days dull the sunshine, create your own!
Try these 5 fun activities with the kids (adults are allowed too!)
- Host a film festival – Plan ahead and buy popcorn or other snacks. Rent or borrow videos and plan a movie marathon. If you are a member of Netflix or Amazon Prime, the movies are there at your fingertips. Free borrowing options include your local public library or friends. Choose classics from Disney or Pixar or try something new. Cuddle up on the couch with cozy throws and watch away!
- Create your own campsite – you can even host your film festival from there! If you have a pop-up or small dome tent, it’s easy to set up camp indoors. If not, you can create tents by draping sheets or blankets over the couch. Make them comfy with airbeds, pillows, and sleeping bags, then follow through with an indoor picnic or tea party!
- Host a Tea Party – Take time out to bake some chocolate chip cookies or cupcakes. Baking together is a bonding experience and a great way to prepare for the party. Serve refreshments to your guests, using paper for easy clean-up. Or pick up inexpensive beautiful old plates and cups at yard sales to make it extra special. The guest list can include favorite friends or even stuffed animals.
- Create a Scavenger Hunt – Gather small envelopes and insert clues. Make one set of clues for every player, each clue leading to the next one and, finally, to the treasure. Seal them in envelopes marked with a clue number (i.e., 2/7, or “two of seven”); this will help the treasure hunters keep track. Whoever solves the clues first and finds the treasure: a small toy, an IOU for a movie, maybe some chocolate —is the winner!
- Make cards for people in Adult Homes- a way of spreading sunshine is doing something for someone else. Many adult home residents do not get regular visitors or mail. A handmade card goes a long way towards bringing a smile. It also teaches your children to engage as part of their community.
Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your together time! If our friendly Hometown licensed agent can help make your insurance needs fun, give us a call! 1-800-568-7283 or email: email@example.com