From www.dot.nd.gov – by North Dakota Department of Transportation
- Carry a cell phone.
- Let someone know when you depart, your route, and expected arrival time.
- Dress according to weather conditions. Keep dry and wear clothing in layers.
- Do not leave without a full fuel tank.
What to do if you are stranded:
- Stay with your vehicle.
- Run the engine sparingly. Start with 15 minutes every hour and adjust if needed.
- Keep the exhaust pipe clear of snow.
- If the cold is extreme, it may be necessary to keep the engine running continuously. It may not restart if shut off.
- Keep your feet off the floor if the heater is not on.
- Never go to sleep with the engine running.
- Read to pass the time.
- Position car so it faces into the wind.
- Tie a colorful banner on the car antenna. If you need to leave the car for any distance during the storm, tie a nylon rope to the car and yourself so you will be able to find your way back to the car.
- Move all your emergency supplies from the trunk to the interior of the car as soon as you realize you will be staying for a while. Put on warm clothing now, before you get cold. It is easier to stay warm than it is to regain lost warmth. Loosen tight clothing so body heat can circulate. Remove metal jewelry as it can chill you.
- Check your supplies to see what you have to work with and arrange them in order for their use. This will help you ration them in case you are stranded for a long period of time.
- Here’s a tip from cold weather campers: eat a snack of high calorie food just before sleeping to stimulate your metabolism (heat production). If you awaken due to the cold, eat some more high energy food and add another layer of insulation such as more clothing or a blanket.
- Carry repair tools such as pliers, wrenches, screw drivers, pocket knife.
- Carry tire chains, booster cables, tow rope, gas line antifreeze, and container of sand.
Questions about auto insurance? Call your experienced licensed agent at Hometown Insurance today at 1-800-568-SAVE (7283) or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options for auto insurance or any other insurance need.
There are currently no comments. Get the conversation started by letting us know what you have to say using the form below.